Ishbel Beatty looks at a Hatley brass

Brass rubbing of Catherine Docwra. The brass was formerly in St Denis' church, East Hatley and moved to Hatley St George after St Denis' was closed in 1986.

Brass rubbing of Catherine Docwra.

There are very few brasses remaining at this end of the county – the Puritan destroyers of images did their work too well.

But East Hatley had in its church, St Denis, for several hundreds of years the remains of a once elaborate brass in remembrance of John and Catherine Docwra.

John died in 1495 and when erecting this tribute in the fashion of the time, Catherine included herself, though she remarried and lived for many years after.

This brass is today incomplete, but Catherine’s image can still be seen, now in the church at Hatley St George.

Gamlingay Gazette, November 1994.


First re-published on the original Hatley website in August 2006; added to this website October 2018.