Hatley – Hatley St George
Holy Communion services at Hatley St George Church are held every second and fourth Sunday of the month.
Second Sunday – 11.00 am.
Fourth Sunday – 8.00 am.
In addition, the church is open on a Tuesday morning for your own private prayers.
There are also ‘special’ services at Easter and Harvest Festival. At Christmas there is a Carol Service, usually at 7.00 pm on the third Wednesday of December, and (some years) a Christmas Day Carols and Eucharist Service at 11.00 am (but not in 2019 – see below).
Hatley St George Church, St Mary’s Church Gamlingay and St Mary’s Church Everton are all part of the Benefice of Gamlingay with Hatley St. George and Everton. Hilary Young is the Priest-in-Charge – this is her 2019 annual report to Hatley Parish Council.
Hatley St George church – The Chapel of St James the Greater.
NB The church is normally locked – the key can be obtained from the farmhouse opposite.
Hatley – East Hatley
St Denis’, East Hatley, is a redundant church set in a ‘live’ graveyard (under the auspices of the diocese). The building is now owned by the Friends of Friendless Churches – until the FoFC is able to complete its restoration project, it is not normally open… however, if you’d like to look round, please ring keyholder Peter Mann on 01767 651 115.
Gamlingay – St Mary’s
St Mary’s Gamlingay is open from 9.30 am to around sunset every day. The space is available for prayer, meditation or to look around and enjoy the building.
- Gamlingay PCC – January 2020 events.
The organ in Hatley St George church
By Charles Hall of Norman Hall & Sons, Cambridge
The organ was built by Bevington & Sons of London in 1878. It is one of their Model 5 organs and stood in a chamber/vestry on the south side of the old chancel. It was moved to its current position by Arnolds of Thaxted in 1962 when it was made slightly smaller in width and electric blower was added. It was presented by John Carbery Evans JP of Hatley Park. It was cleaned and overhauled by Norman Hall & Sons of Cambridge in 2000.
Bevington’s were in business between 1794 and 1941 with premises in the Soho area of London and there are several of the instruments in the area.
The organ has two manuals (rows of keys) and pedals. It has three stops on the Swell (upper row), four on the Great and one on the Pedal. It has three couplers that connect the two rows of keys together and the pedals to the manual. The connection between the keys and pipes is mechanical. The pipes of the Swell are enclosed in a box with shutters which can be open and closed to provide a form of volume control.
The stops are
Harmonic Flute 4
Stopped Diapason Bass 8
Bell Gamba 8
Open Diapason 8
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Lever Swell Pedal
Mr Carbery Evans must have been pleased with their work as in 1883 he commissioned on organ for the hall from them. It was a much larger instrument and was pumped by a hot air engine. In 1899 a Mr G E Wright moved it to Olton Hall (in Solihull – there is a GWR engine called Olton Hall.) and then to Pudleston Court, Leominster, Herefordshire (the link contains a reference to G E Wright, near the bottom of the page), where it was altered by Hill & Sons. It was then presented to Holmer Church in 1934 and installed by Ingram’s. By 2010 it had been moved again and is now in St Mary’s Church Hay-on-Wye.
Page created 25 January 2019 and updated on 13th January 2020. ▲